Tuesday, November 08, 2022

Election Day (Oops)

I didn't expect to see Eli 21.3 on Election Day. 

About 5 p.m., the phone rings. "Hi, buddy," I answered cheerfully.

"Dad, I'm going to need a best parent moment here," he said. 

"What?"

"I forgot to fill out my absentee ballot, so I need you to meet me in Lansing so you can take it back to the drop box by 8 p.m. tonight," he said. 

I started laughing. "Wait, you're telling me a political science major forgot to complete his absentee ballot? You're going to take some abuse over this for a while."

He laughed. "I'd expect nothing less."

We met at magic exit 101--exactly an hour for both of us--and I got to see his happy, smiling face and talk for a few minutes. 

Even without the ballot, it was worth the drive. 

He texted me later: 
Saving our democracy one 
trip to Lansing at a time.

Site Meter