Tuesday, December 27, 2022

Christmas

Even on the backside of a blizzard, we had a sporting tradition to uphold. 

Since Eli was in the 7.0 range, we've always done something on Thanksgiving and Christmas. First, it was unicycling for half an hour or so through the city. Then it was tennis for many years. Even in Grand Rapids, we played tennis on Christmas once (or New Year's, I can't remember. I do remember the wind chill was under 30F, though). A few times, we'd go to the high school stadium to throw passes and kick field goals. 

This year presented unique challenges. At least 18" of snow on the ground, and much higher in places. 

"Looks like basketball," Eli 21.4 said. 

"Of course," I said. "Clearly the answer."

We walked a mile to the elementary school, which has three baskets arranged in a rectangle missing one long side configuration. 

It was about 5F, and the wind chill was below 0. Still, tradition. 

"Look at my handle," Eli said, "and took one dribble as the ball almost disappeared in the snow. 

"Nice fried egg you've got there," I said. 

The snow was dry, so the ball didn't get wet, which was nice. And even though we both had gloves on, we couldn't miss. It was ridiculous. 

"Would you stop making shots?" Eli said at one point. 

He beat me, but I kept him out there a long, long time to do it. 















I picked up that ball and threw it somewhere, but he has godlike reflexes. 

We walked home, talking the whole time. It was peaceful, the way that it always feels peaceful when we're together. 

Site Meter