Thursday, January 26, 2023

From the Past to the Future

This is what it was like every day in our house for years. Still is, when Eli 21.5 is home.
___________________

Eli 6.7
"I want to be a God," Eli 6.7 said as he sat down at the kitchen table.

"Who doesn't?" I asked.

"If I was a God, I could fly in P.E.," he said.

"You're a God, and all you're going to do is fly around the gym? Dude, you're a GOD--you don't even have to go to school anymore."

"I don't?" he asked.

"No," I said. "You'd know everything already. Probably."

"Oh, now I REALLY want to be a God," he said. "Dad, what would you do if you were a God?"

"I'd wrestle a whale," I said.

"WHAT?"

"I could talk to him in his language, so he'd know that we were just playing," I said. "But definitely the first thing I'd do is wrestle a whale."

"Now THAT is an idea," he said.
_____________________

"Dad, do you want to play Super Mario Galaxy?" Eli was sitting on the couch. I sat down beside him.

"Sure, little man, I'll play," I said. We have a constant rivalry about turning on the Wii, because we have the controllers inside the stereo cabinet with the Wii, so someone has to walk over and turn it on. "Go turn on the Wii," I said.

"No, you turn it on," he said, laughing.

"No, YOU turn it on," I said.

"No, YOU," he said.

"The only 'you' in this room is 'you'," I said. "So you turn it on."

"No, you turn it on," he said.

"Oh, for God's sake! I'LL turn it on," Gloria said. She had been sitting at the kitchen table, and she walked over to the stereo cabinet and turned on the Wii.

"Thanks, Mom," Eli said. "Thanks a lot."

"Yeah, thanks, honey," I said. Gloria walked back into the kitchen and sat down. "Okay, buddy," I said, "go turn the receiver to 'Video 1'."

"No, YOU go turn it to 'Video 1'," he said.

"No, you," I said.

"ARGGHHHHH!" Gloria said.
________________________

Eli (aka The Enthusiasm Engine) was notified yesterday that he's a semifinalist for the Fulbright, which means the U.S. committee has recommended him and forwarded it to the country who would be hosting him (Colombia). It doesn't mean he's selected, but it's a good sign. 

Site Meter