Wednesday, March 22, 2023

It's a Craft

Eli 21.7 prepares better than anyone I've ever seen. 

It's one of his most useful qualities, and he applies it comprehensively to his life. I have the quality of preparedness, too, but I apply it, um, much more erratically. 

However, when you're working twelve hours a day on your thesis, and you're taking an easy class pass/fail, exceptions are made. 

"I totally forgot what a rush it is to take a test without studying," he said. 

"Which test?"

"The pass/fail. I half-watched the lectures online, didn't prepare at all, and then I sat down for the exam and had to figure it all out in real-time." 

I started laughing. "How long has it been since you did that?"

"Oh, sophomore year in high school, at least."

"I totally forgot you were ever like that," I said. 

"It creates a totally different expectation for your grade. If you study, you're disappointed by every point you lose. If you don't study, though, you're elated by every point you get."

"What did you make on the test?" I asked. 

"Eighty-eight," he said, laughing. 

"Eighty-eight points of pure grit," I said. 

"I forgot that surviving without studying is really an art."

"No," I said. "It's a craft."

Site Meter