Monday, July 17, 2023

A War of Words

Dirty tricks abound in the Summer Reading Challenge.

It's standard procedure now for both of us to have a book to open when the other walks into a room. There are allegations of late-night reading, long after the other participant is asleep. Most notably, there's a scoring question. 

I have a huge lead, on paper. What I don't know is whether Eli 21.11 is updating the completed sheet with all his books. There may be a 2 a.m. mail-in ballot dump at any time. 

Smack talk abounds. 

"You're not catching me," I said to him yesterday. "No chance."

"Two words," Eli said. "Audio books."

"Wait, those don't count," I said. 

"Of course they do," he said, "and I listen to them every time I'm in the car."

I'm battling an evil genius. 

This morning, he came up the stairs. 

"I did the math, " I said. "Audio books are only worth 30 pages an hour. It's not nearly enough."

"If that's what you need to tell yourself to get through the day, do it," he said. 

Site Meter