Tuesday, August 08, 2023

Real Men

The extremely nice woman across the street (a good friend, mother of Eli 22.0s best friend) mentioned a conversation she had with someone yesterday. 

The conversation was with a man in his late 60s, who was bemoaning the plight of boys in today's society. She was curious, so she asked a few more questions, and he finally said that boys and young today didn't know what a "real man" was. 

I've been thinking about the term "real man" ever since. 

First off, I'm sure I'm not one. I don't even think I could precisely define the term. 

Also, everyone I've known who self-identified as a "real man" has been, without exception, a bullying asshole. 

I believe people who use the term associate it with being in charge and being in control. What I find interesting, though, is how character isn't really part of it at all. 

No character required. 

I also think it's interesting that in some countries people would associate "real men" with honorable men, but not in this country, unfortunately.

I feel like not having enough real men was never the problem. Our problem was always having too many.

Site Meter