Thursday, March 14, 2024

A Question

Hall of Fame links provider C. Lee has an interesting question:
What was the first game to incorporate the Groundhog Day-like mechanic by which character deaths gradually let the player accrue experience/knowledge/powers that can be used in subsequent runs? I mean a game in which that mechanic of death and resurrection is explicitly part of the game as opposed to just reloading a save.

As a side note, I'm a big fan of this game mechanic.

Shiren the Wanderer came out in 1995. That's the earliest example I know. He mentioned Baroque and Planescape Torment (1998 and 1999, respectively). 

He theorized that no games had the mechanic before the movie Groundhog Day (1993).

In literature, there were certainly earlier examples. Perhaps the most well-known was Richard Lupoff's 12:01 P.M. (published in 1973).

I've hit the wall on what I know about this, so if any of you have earlier examples, please weigh in. 

Site Meter