Thursday, May 23, 2024

Friday Links!

I know I've linked to a story about this before, but it still fascinates me: Before alarm clocks, you could hire a knocker-upper to wake you in the morning.

From Wally, and it blows my mind: Japan blocks iconic Mount Fuji view to stop bad behaviour by tourists. This is a great read but not well-sourced: Attrition: Where Have All the Soldiers Gone in Russia. Intriguing: I Went to the Robo Restaurant: The future of fast food is, like its present, very salty. Get writing, old man: “It came as great satisfaction to me”: George R.R. Martin Was Over the Moon With How House of the Dragon Redeemed 1 of the Most Egregious Game of Thrones Mistakes. So, so strange: Before Harry Potter’s Sorting Hat, There Was the ‘Medieval Space Bonnet’: Legends swirl around the University of Edinburgh’s mysterious graduation bonnet.

From C. Lee, and it's incredible: Raw-milk fans plan to drink up as experts warn of high levels of H5N1 virus. Oh, my: Google Accidentally Deleted $125 Billion Pension Fund's Account. This might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen, North Carolina, and I've seen more than a few: It could soon be illegal to publicly wear a mask for health reasons in NC. I don't mind them, actually, but if you do, read on: Bye Bye, AI: How to turn off Google's annoying AI overviews and just get search results. Sure: Edible Gel Promises Hangover-Free Mornings. An excellent read: The History of Handheld Gaming PCs. Also excellent: How The Ancient Greeks Waged War On The High Seas. Phenomenal, and this has always fascinated me: What You Need to Know About China’s Terra-Cotta Warriors and the First Qin Emperor. This is a terrific concept: Microsoft's Proteus is a snap-together Xbox controller for accessibility. The picture of the room looks like an upscale hockey hotel: Never thought of it like that: Versailles, a Giant Nightmarish Hotel

Site Meter