Monday, October 21, 2024

One Direction

I don't think I've ever heard a One Direction song. If so, I didn't remember it. 

I thought about them this weekend, though, after Liam Payne's death. He threw himself off a balcony. He was thirty-one.

It made me think about what life must have been like for him. What do you do when your life has clearly peaked when you're twenty-two? His solo career had slowly declined, and his label dumped him. 

Twenty-two. Another fifty or sixty years of life, knowing you can never be what you used to be, if you use fame as a measure. 

That would be hard. Oppressively so, really. 

Some professions peak very, very young. Boy bands. Female gymnasts. Mathematicians. It's a strange list. I'd like to say something profound about who makes it and who doesn't and why, but it all feels trite, because I don't know if I could do it myself. Who could?


Site Meter