Tuesday, January 04, 2005

WOW and Your E-mail

I don't think I've ever seen a game with as much player dedication as World of Warcraft. You're all insane, which I clearly enjoy, but the e-mail I received yesterday was almost exclusively along the lines of "HOW do you award Game of the Year without playing WOW?"

The short answer, obviously, is that I tell you I haven't played WOW and then proceed with regularly scheduled programming. And I've mentioned several times that the reason I don't play WOW is that when I play a good online game, I play nothing else. I find myself sneaking away for fifteen minutes, because unlike a single-player game, I'm not hastening the end. All my efforts are accretive toward the attainment of some theoretical, distant absolute.

City of Heroes was a fluke, something I started playing because PC gaming at the time was absolutely dead. And it was extremely fun--brilliantly designed, in some ways--but I should be required by law to stay away from online games.

Site Meter