Thursday, January 27, 2005

Wow, the Webbies!

I saw a website today with a sticker proclaiming "We Were Nominated for a Webby!"

Well, that's cool. Except I have e-mail in my inbox today from the Webby Awards, imploring me to "Tell the world about your excellent website!'

Damn, I don't want the world to know. I'm kind of on the down-low with you guys and that's just fine by me. I don't think the world would get it.

And I'm damn sure not writing a $195 check. That's right--that's how nominations are decided. You scratch a check for $195, send it in, and congratulations--you've been nominated for a Webby! Woo hoo! The check cleared!

So the Webby nominations are like that time in high school when your parents got notified by mail that you had been selected as one of the nation's outstanding students. Along with the nomination came the opportunity to buy a $35 book highlighting America's best and brightest. Your picture, as one of the best and brightest, would be in that book.

So when you see all these websites with their "Webby Nominated!" highlights, just smile and remember that it should say "We bought it! We're Nominated for a Webbie!"

I think I'm going to give away my own version of the Webbies. More details later. And there will be no nomination fee, although I might make you pay me if you don't want to be nominated. Fear that.

Site Meter