Friday, May 06, 2005

Out on the Town

We went to a restaurant tonight where the waitresses came and refolded your napkin if you left the table. This was new to me, as my meal usually comes wrapped in paper with a bright logo; or, on special occasions, in a cardboard box. But the waitresses always had this bright smile on their faces as they refolded your dirty napkin, and they were just so damn pleasant that it was impossible not to like them. It was the shiny happy people restaurant, and there's nothing wrong with a bit of that.

We were driving home and Gloria said "I need some aspirin. I have a nascent headache."
"Oh, come on!" I said.
"What?"
"That's just showing off, isn't it?" I said. "Are you sneaking off to weekly meetings with the dictionary club?"
"Goofball." It's a pet name.
"Well, it's all just so illubricable, isn't it?" I asked.
She hesitated. "That's not a word."
"No, it's not," I said.
"And you were using it because...?" she asked.
"Because you already took the good word," I said. "The real word. So I'm stuck with illubricable."

Site Meter