Monday, August 29, 2005

Eli 4.0 Sleeps In

Eli 4.0 woke up at 6:00 Sunday morning. He came down and woke us up.

"Daddy, do you want to go back to my room with me?"

"Sure," I said.

"We'll sleep on the floor," he said.

Sure we will.

Here's an exact transcript of our conversation, after we'd gotten blankets and pillows arranged on the floor of his room.

[We lie down. Five seconds pass.]

"Daddy?"

"Yeah, buddy."

"I'm going to switch my covers."

"You are?"

"Yeah. The bottom cover is longer, so if I make it my blanket and make the blanket my sheet, my feet won't stick out."

"Okay."

[Several minutes of cover-rearranging later, we lie down again. Five seconds pass.]

"Daddy?"

"Yeah, buddy."

"I just need to do ONE more thing."

"What?"

"I need to make my command center into a robot."

"Let's do that after we get up."

"It'll just take a minute."

"I know. But it's still dark outside."

"Okay, Daddy."

[Five seconds pass.]

"Daddy?"

"Yeah, buddy."

"I can't really go to sleep without a little animal. Is my rabbit on the bed?"

"I don't see it."

"I'll get it, Daddy. You stay there and get some rest."

[Several minutes of stuffed animal selection follow.]

"I'll use this Shamu, Daddy. It's nice and soft."

"Okay, buddy."

"Now I'm REALLY READY to go to sleep," says Eli 4.0.

[Five seconds pass.]

"Daddy, can we get up now?

Site Meter