Friday, October 14, 2005

Three Alarming Notes

Here are three alarming notes from the world of advertising.

1. While listening to the radio this week, I heard a salad described as "clever." Outstanding. Soon salads will be "sincere" and have "great personalities." Now if I don't eat lettuce, I have to tell it "Really--it's not you. It's me."

2. I'm sure you'll all be as relieved as I was to find out that toenail fungus has its own mascot. I'd like to personally thank Lamasil for creating the cute little green guy that lifted up a toenail and crawled inside during a commercial last night.

I'm just waiting for this press release:
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Oscar-winning director Steven Spielberg and Electronic Arts Inc., the world's biggest video game publisher, said on Friday they are teaming up with Lamasil to develop three original video games based on Digger Dermatophyte, the toenail fungus mascot.

Spielberg, a video game and toenail fungus enthusiast, will work with EA's Los Angeles studio on the concept, story and design of the games.

Neil Young, vice president and studio head at EA Los Angeles, said Spielberg and EA developers aim to take advantage of the exploding popularity of disease mascots to deliver more engaging and novel play and entertainment.

"Who is a better person to tackle that challenge with than Steven Spielberg?" Young said. "We plan on putting the 'fun' in fungus."

The exclusive license will reportedly cost Electronic Arts six hundred million dollars over the next five years.

3. Here's the lead of a movie review I saw this morning:
In my favorite among the nonet of 10-minute scenes of women in crisis that make up the deeply satisfying feminine maypole dance...

At offices all over the country on Monday morning:
Doug and John are in the break room.
"Hey John, so what did you do this weekend?"
"Glad you asked, Doug. I went to see the deeply satisfying feminine maypole dance-" BAM!
"Help! Doug just shot himself!"
Tom comes running in.
"John, what happened?"
"I don't know, Tom. I was just telling Doug about my weekend--"
"What DID you do this weekend, John?"
"Glad you asked, Tom. I went to see the deeply satisfying feminine maypole dance-" BAM!

Site Meter