Tuesday, November 15, 2005

360 Launch Plans

I've seen a few reviews of 360 games and they are, to put it bluntly, shit. Some of the worst reviews I've ever read on major gaming sites. It's like the reviewers have zero clue how to rate these games compared to last generation games or what criteria they're supposed to be using.

1Up.com reviewed five different 360 games. Four of them got a 7.0. There is zero chance of that happening if anybody understands how they're supposed to be reviewing the games. Plus IGN had some reviews and they're, well, "less then helpful."

So here's what I'm going to do. On launch day (next Tuesday), I'm going to start playing games at 8:30 a.m. I'm going to play a game for an hour, spend twenty minutes writing up my impressions, post them, and move on to the next game. And I'm going to do that all day, or as long as I can hold out, with some Eli 4.3 breaks in there.

I probably won't be playing the EA games--exclusive license buying, sequel swilling, carpet bombing marketeers--until Gamefly sends them, but I'll be playing most of the others:
Amped 3 (2K Sports)
Call of Duty 2 (Activision)
Condemned: Criminal Origins (Sega)
Gun (Activision)
Kameo: Elements of Power (Microsoft Game Studios)
NBA 2K6 (2K Sports)
NHL 2K6 (2K Sports)
Perfect Dark Zero (Microsoft Game Studios)
Peter Jackson's King Kong (Ubisoft)
Project Gotham Racing 3 (Microsoft Game Studios)

No Quake 4. I've already played three engine demos in that series. And no Ridge Racer--I've played plenty of versions of that.

I can't tell you in an hour if something is a great game, but I can usually identify a rotting carcass that quickly. And I can give you a general impression of the console overall.

If I can do all of these, that will take a little over thirteen hours. And I like the idea of doing it in real-time.

Well, thirteen hours plus the time I spend weeping while playing King Kong.

Site Meter