Thursday, January 26, 2006

Famous Author, Now With Extra Loser

Remember the post last week about James Frey, best selling author and prolific liar? He came back to the Oprah Winfrey show, where Oprah, after spending a week reading her e-mail, stopped defending him. Here's a great quote from Frey:
Frey acknowledged to King that he had embellished parts of the book, and he told Winfrey Thursday that the same demons that fueled his addictions caused him to mischaracterize himself.

“I made a mistake,” Frey told Winfrey on Thursday.

That's great stuff. So he's not the liar--it's the demons that made him. And I bet it got him high.

I feel totally tooled on this Frey thing. Great, riveting book, seemingly an incredibly courageous guy, now all unraveling into a story of a lying opportunist with zero character. Blech. I am, however, very hopeful that I will never need to type the words "Oprah Winfrey" ever again.

Site Meter