Thursday, January 05, 2006

Pachter Part 2

I've been thinking about that Michael Pachter quote from the previous post, and here's something I hadn't thought about previously. He's become the go-to guy for all these people writing business articles about gaming who need a quote. So they go to him and tell him they need one sentence that explains his position on XYZ. That means almost everything that gets attributed to him is going to sound categorical, because it's impossible to have any nuance whatsoever in a single-sentence position.

In my experience, categorical positions are are almost always inaccurate to some degree. And that's the dilemma: being quoted is good for your company and good for your career, but it also forces you to fit complex positions into tiny little boxes.

Fortunately, as no one ever asks me what I think of anything, I've steered clear of this problem.

Site Meter