Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Ghost Recon

I've been checking EB Games every day to see if the release date for Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (3/7) has slipped.

I know. I'm pathetic.

Today, though, I had a very unfortunate realization that makes me believe this game isn't shipping on 3/7, and it involves--conveniently enough--marketing. Publicity for games generally follows a relatively predictable pattern in the weeks leading up to release, and with this game only four weeks from release, it's not getting the kind of publicity or marketing push that would indicate it's going to be released on schedule. This is a showcase title, a console seller, probably the highlight of Q1 for Xbox 360 releases. When this game is really four weeks from release, we will be plastered with interviews and previews and every kind of publicity imaginable. We will get saturation marketing.

That's not happening, so while I hope I'm wrong, I think this game is going to slip. Arrgghh.

Site Meter