Monday, June 26, 2006

Eli 4.10

The Eli stories have really piled up this week. Here are a few.

We were watching the begining of the Switzerland-Korea World Cup game on Friday, and I was explaining to him where the countries were located and what colors they were wearing. Just then, we looked up and saw some Swiss fans wearing giant foam cheese wedges on their heads. Eli said "Daddy! Is there a CHEESE team?"
***

Eli's turned into a semi-professional belcher. We had a discussion about this last week. He let one rip, started laughing, and said "Daddy, is that funny?"

"Not really, little man," I said.

"It isn't?" he asked.

"No," I said. "Being funny is all about surprise. If you belch all the time, it's not funny. But if you haven't belched in a few days, then your mom is coming down the stairs and you surprise her with a giant belch, now that's funny."

"Okay," he said. "Got it."

Sunday morning, we were at the Pancake House. He drank a little milk, harnessed his resources for several seconds (you can see him preparing), then belched. "Hey!" I said. "Not in a restaurant--that's just rude."

"Don't look at me," he said. "I can't control my body."
***

Gloria was trying to get Eli to tell her what he wanted for lunch. Like all four year olds (and their fathers), he can get incredibly distracted by almost anything. Gloria asked him two or three times, then finally she said "Eli! Lunch!"

"Okay, focusing on that," he said.
***

Yesterday, Eli was obsessed with trying to a find a peel-away sticker that he'd lost. These stickers don't get "lost"--they're disposable--but he hasn't quite accepted that and expects every sticker to have a ten-year lifespan.

"Mommy, have you found that sticker yet?"

"Eli, I haven't. I don't think we have it anymore," Gloria said.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Pretty sure," she said.

"Maybe you could look for it."

"Eli, I know we don't have it," she said.

"How do you know?" he asked.

"I threw it away."

"Well, touché," he said.

Site Meter