Friday, November 03, 2006

The Car Story: Oh, Canada

As promised on Monday, a car story from Jarod Werbick.

When I was stationed in Michigan I decided it was time for a new car. My old Honda (which I had bought new) was dying and I was sick of trying to fix it, so I sold it for $3000 cash and went alookin. My girlfriend at the time was Canadian and, through friends of friends, I got in touch with a car dealer in Sarnia, Ontario. The following is a true story and I’m not changing any names because I don’t think I mention any ;)

I found the car I want. With my girlfriend’s help, a 2000 Chevy Cavalier LS (slightly used) with custom tires, tint, and a kickin stero has been made available to me. With only $3000 cash I called my credit union to get a loan for the difference. After blue-booking the car, I get authorized for up to $12,000 on the loan (the value of the car was just below $15,000). With a blank check and wad of cash in hand, I head over the border with my GF. We get to the dealership and I see the car for the first time…I am in love. Getting in I notice the stereo, the very new-looking dashboard and upholstery, and the mileage (well, since the car is Canadian it is Kilometerage) of 10,666. I’m thinking it is a sign…of what I have no idea. Since the car is bright red, I immediately begin calling it ‘Devil car’ and ‘satan mobile’ and the like. After driving it around I know I will be buying the car and hope I have enough with me to do so. With a bit of trepidation, I entered the dealer’s lair.

“How much for the car?” (my voice cracked I was so nervous)

The salesman looked me up and down…and wrote a number on a piece of paper.

$13,500. Wow…a deal and I can afford it! But my mom always told us never to accept the first offer so I borrowed a pen from my girlfriend (with a pink fuzzy top…the pen, not the girlfriend) and wrote my counter. $12,000.

I settled in to haggle this out and hand over the paper. With a glance he says “Done.”

I am shocked and somewhat confused. Should I have gone for less? Damn. Figuring I was happy with the deal anyway, we started on the paperwork. We get to the part where I actually have to pay them and he pulls out a calculator. He begins mumbling and punching in numbers…

“taxes…wait..no taxes since you’re going across the border…fee’s….registration – don’t have to worry about that…what’s the exchange rate today?”

Exchange rate? Oh yeh…I thought he was talking US dollars…we make a phone call.

“1.89 canadian per US…that means you owe me $6,350 US…will that be check or cash?”

Wow. I am floored. I quickly write the check for the whole amount, figuring I’ll use the cash for the taxes, tariffs and registration.

Driving off the lot I am absolutely BUZZED…then I get to the border.

“Any alcohol, tobacco, firearms? Anything to declare?”

“Umm…no, no, no and this car.”

I get routed to the office and have all the paperwork ready. We go over the inspection, title, billing paperwork and I and figuring out how much the tariff is going to be when the lady stamps the forms and tells me to have a nice day. Not wanting to break any laws (I do enough of that anyway) I ask about the tariff.

“Oh, well since the car was made in Mexico and sold in Canada, you don’t owe any. Thank NAFTA.” Who knew?

So stop by my home, show my car to the roomie, then head off to the MDOT office to register my Devil Car. After waiting in line for an hour I bring all the paperwork to a nice looking lady and we start going through everything. For taxes and registration they wanted $864. I go for my money and realize I left it at home…with everything else except my ID and credit cards (which they don’t take there) Grumbling and pissed, I go back home, get everything and go BACK to MDOT. Stand in line (only 20 minutes or so) and go to a different lady. She looks at all of my paperwork and frowns.

“I hate all this paperwork for foreign cars. Ya know what? We’re just going to say you paid your taxes when you bought it. That will be $63 please.”

That car lasted me 5 years until I sold it a little while ago…for $3000. For the rest of my life, I fully expect to get reamed when buying a car…although maybe I’ll head back to Canada and see what I can find.

Site Meter