Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Six

I came out of my study yesterday afternoon--where I had been "working."

"I'm going to go upstairs and change clothes, you guys," I said. Eli 5.3 and Gloria were sitting on the couch, discussing world affairs.

"Eli, did you clean up your stuffed animals?" Gloria asked. Eli has at least fifty little stuffed animals in a flexible hamper that looks like a cartoon elephant, and he'd apparently dumped them all out earlier.

"Well, ALMOST all," he said.

"How many is almost all?" I asked.

"I got all of them but six," he said.

"Really?" Gloria asked.

"I DID," he said.

"Well, if you really did pick up all of them but six," I said, starting up the stairs, "I'm going to give you a dollar."

"Daddy! WAIT!" he shouted, pushing past me as he raced up the stairs toward his room. "WAIT JUST A MINUTE!"

As it turns out, "six" was just a planning number. The actual number was "thirty-four."

Site Meter