Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Sincere Enthusiasm: Not Always Appreciated

I have, at times, been labeled "not enthusiastic" when responding to Gloria showing me her new clothes--because they're clothes.

Gloria went Christmas shopping this morning, and while she was shopping for everyone, she picked up a new blouse for herself. As we were sitting together in the living room, she pulled it out of the box and held it up:


Gloria said, "What do you think?"

"That is FANTASTIC!" I said.

"It is?" she asked, clearly very pleased.

"Unbelievable!" I said. "I can see bunnies!"

"What?" she asked. She looked at the blouse for a few seconds, then said "Oh--I guess you could look at that flower and kind of see a rabbit."

"It looks like some kind of super-trippy background for a show on the Cartoon Network. I love it!" I said.

"Um, thanks," she said, color draining from her face like a donor at the blood bank.

So if you think that all your wife wants you to do is repond enthusiastically about her new clothing, well, think again.

And I wasn't even being a smartass--that is one totally cool cartoon blouse.

Site Meter