Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Gaming Links (+3)

I missed three very interesting links yesterday, so here's a supplement.

First is the trailer for BrĂ¼tal Legend, Tim Schafer's new project, and it's ten different kinds of awesome. Watch it here.

Second is a story about the U.S. Express, a cross-country race that was the successor to the Cannonball Run. Basically, it consisted of driving across the country as fast as you could while trying not to get caught. The reason this is a gaming link is because in 1980, Will Wright won the race.

What?

Not what I expected, but it's quite a read, and it's here.

This is N'Gai Croal's interview with David Jaffe, most particularly, this excerpt:
Sure, I care what people think. I'd love it if I could find a way to be honest and truthful and not give people the PR spin and at the same time be as liked as [Nintendo design legend Shigeru] Miyamoto and Cliffyb [Gears of War creator Cliff Bleszinski]. I'd love that. That would be awesome to have people who don't take swipes at me every five f---ing sentences I say. But I'd rather be honest than give you a bunch of PR bulls--t because that stuff makes me physically ill.

Conveniently, that excerpt is five f---ing sentences long.

Here's the thing. David Jaffe eats thousand dollar bills for breakfast--he just puts them through a paper shredder and sprinkles them on his cereal. He's been more than fairly rewarded for creating two enduring franchises (Twisted Metal and God of War) in the last fifteen years. Yet he still has a giant chip on his shoulder about criticism.

Here's the other thing. It's possible to be honest without being a dick. But Jaffe implies, quite clearly, that one of the reasons he's "not popular" is because he's being honest.

Yes, because we all hate honesty. Keep telling yourself that, dude.

The interview is here.

Site Meter