Thursday, March 13, 2008

Eli 6.7: On The Wall

This is a story about how much energy little boys have. If you don't have a son, you may hear stories about the amount of energy little boys have, but it may be hard to believe.

Well, you can believe this.

On Tuesday, we went to a place called Main Event, which is a big entertainment center--arcade, bowling alley, mini-golf, etc. They also have a huge area in the back with a twenty-eight foot rock-climbing wall.

Twenty-eight feet may not sound very high. It doesn't sound high to me when I write the number. Standing at the base of a twenty-eight foot wall, though, it looks very, very high.

The last time we came to Main Event, I made it up the wall twice. This time, after a swim/workout earlier in the day, I managed to haul my old ass up four times.

It was hard.

Rock climbing requires an insane amount of strength in your hands and forearms, far more than I have (as a side note, if I did this more often, it would probably improve both drumming and playing the guitar in Rock Band). So after those four climbs, I was worn out.

We had only booked a thirty-minute slot, and we actually didn't climb for the last five minutes. So many times do you think Eli 6.7 climbed up one of the routes on the twenty-eight foot wall and rang a bell?

Twelve.

That's right--twelve freaking times. That's 336 feet. 112 yards. He climbed more than a football field vertically in twenty-five minutes.

What really blew my mind is that he never slowed down. His twelfth ascent was just as fast as his first, and believe me, his first was fast.

Maybe he isn't my son. I wonder if Gloria slept with Spiderman.

Site Meter