Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Family Fishing

Okay, I admit it: I'm a sucker for fishing games.

Part of that is due to the amount of fishing I did on the coast as a kid, which I always found both exciting and relaxing at the same time. There was something special about wading in a saltwater bay at dawn, fishing as the sun came up. I did that for years, growing up, and I still miss it.

The other influence was an Amiga 500 game called "Reel Fish'n". It was a bass fishing simulation, and it was bizarrely terrific and totally addictive. That cinched it for me, and from then on, any game with a fishing component (Dark Cloud 2, Fate, Animal Crossing, just to name a few) automatically gained several grades.

Last week, I saw that Yuji Naka, who was involved with both the Sonic The Hedgehog series and NiGHTs, is working on a game for the Wii called "Family Fishing."

Score!

Here's the trailer, and it looks like a relaxing, interesting game, with plenty of things to do on the island where the game is based.

The good news: it's being released on August 4.

The bad news: it's only in Japan, and given the craptastic indifference in the last six months to the U.S. market, who knows if it will ever be released here.

Site Meter