Wednesday, December 20, 2017

A Score

I think I mentioned a while back that Eli 16.4 was right on the border of being a National Merit Semifinalist. His practice test (which all the schools do nowadays, apparently) PSAT score  was 1400, and he probably needed a 1440 to qualify.

He took the test--for real--about two months ago.

Gloria and I were both National Merit Scholars in high school, and it opens doors to schools that might not consider you otherwise, so we were very much hoping that he could make it. Plus, he's interested in playing hockey for at least two Ivy League schools, and it would be a huge positive if he had this academic achievement on his record.

Playing for the #11 team in the country and a National Merit Scholar? Sounds like a great fit to me.

So, in sum, it was a big deal.

Scores were coming out anywhere from Monday to Wednesday last week, and when he saw some kids in his classes getting their scores, he started checking his email every five minutes.

Then he sent me four texts:

dad

dad

I got a 1490

I'm in

A perfect score was 1520, so he missed three questions. And had a perfect score in the Math section.

I don't even know what to say at this point. He just keeps opening doors, and I'm so happy for him.

Site Meter