Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Snow Day!

I wound up at the mall yesterday, because both the public library and the other place I usually work at were closed.

I was telling Eli 17.6 about the Simpson's episode where Bart prays for a Snow Day because he didn't do his homework, and it works, but then it's the most fantastic day ever and Bart needs to do his homework, and when Lisa finds out she points her finger at Bart and says, "Prayer. The last refuge of scoundrels."

Anyway, after two hours of editing at the mall, that memory inspired me to take a snow day.

I went to On The Border at 11:30 and had nachos with plenty of jalapenos, just to convince myself I lived somewhere else. Of course, when I looked out the window and saw this, it was hard to keep that imaginary warmth going:



Kind of harsh, really. I think the wind chill was about -10 at that point. Then Eli sent me this picture from school, where they somehow didn't have a snow day:



He did however, have a snow day today and tomorrow (already called). Two-day school weeks are highly enjoyable.

It just kept snowing yesterday, so we've had about 15" in three days. That's okay, though, because after On The Border, I went to see a movie.

The movie was great until it started snowing in the movie. The snow is coming from inside the house!, I thought immediately.

It was the best snow day, but driving home was this:



By 5 p.m., the wind was blowing so hard that the visibility was below fifty yards in quite a few places.

This morning, it was -5 with a wind chill of -25. And we were lucky, because we have friends in a Chicago suburb who had wind chill of -60 this morning!

Site Meter