Monday, March 25, 2019

Never Watch Monty Python, Girls

I was in line with Eli 17.7 for ice cream.

There was a woman in front of us who had two girls (age 10, roughly) with her. They were giggling. Constantly. They just couldn't stop, and the longer the did it, the sillier they got.

At first, it was mildly annoying, but happiness is infectious, and before long, we were both watching them and laughing.

"Stop laughing at everything!" their mother said. "Why is everything so funny to you?"

I looked at Eli. He looked at me.

They cleared the line. "Yes, kids, stop being happy," I said.

Eli laughed. "Why is everything so funny to you?" he asked.

"Maybe because we're not a sour old shrew like you, mom," I said, and he laughed again.

It's so discouraging to see things like that. Kids are only silly when they're comfortable and feel safe, so their mother was taking a really positive situation and turning it into something negative and sad.

As the mother paid, though, we saw the kids outside, and they were laughing their butts off. "Fight the power," I said.

Site Meter