Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Battle Brothers

I've rage-uninstalled Battle Brothers three times, I think.

The thing is, it's hard. Hard as balls, even on the easiest difficulty. [This phrase raises some interesting questions about how hard those balls are, and what kind of balls, exactly, but those questions will not be answered today.] If you are incredibly persistent (masochistic, practically), you can reach a point with your company where you break the difficulty curve, but it's very tough.

The starting positions in battles are often brutally unfair. The random number generation will make you drop f-bombs like leaves in fall.

And yet, it's great, when it's not being terrible. It's deep and incredibly interesting, and the emergent stories are fantastic. It's incredibly involving when you're not thinking about throwing a rock through your monitor.

So, knowing I would regret it and yet unable to stop myself, I reinstalled yesterday. Bought two new DLC packages, too. It's unbelievably busy this week, but at the same time, I needed to lose myself in something other than endless graduation activities.

There's a new mode called "Lone Wolf" where you start with no one in your company (in the regular game, I think you start out with four, including yourself). This seemed interesting, because it reminded me of how long I played Ultima IV with one character because I didn't realize anyone would join my party (oops).

The new mode is, of course, brutally unfair. It's not even meant to be played solo, but damn it, I'm trying.

Battle Brothers is very civil in that when you die in battle, you can reload an auto-save that will put you back at the beginning of the battle, and will also randomly generate an even more unfair starting position.

I'll just be sitting here, screaming in frustration. Good times.

Site Meter