Monday, October 21, 2019

Ring Fit Adventure

I'm kind of a hero, really.

I did 20 squats kill a purple grape with horns. I did 20 overhead presses to kill a red grape with similar horns. I collected gold coins. Oh, and I unleashed a pilates demon. Mistakes were made.

This is my experience after two days of Ring Fit Adventure. 

I realized long ago that I don't want a fitness instructor with perfect hair and capped teeth encouraging me every thirty seconds. It's the voice, the phony voice that promises everything and means nothing.

However, when it's a cartoon figure encouraging me in the enthusiastic way that Nintendo has always done, I am 100% in and totally pleased. It is very, very fun to be pushed along with the ideal level of silliness.

It's also remarkably fun to see your character onscreen matching your movements very precisely. There's no lag, either.

The form of the game is basically an endless runner, and you have to do different exercises or motions to get past obstacles. Quite a bit of it is reasonably organic, too--you're running in place and doing movements with the ring (twisting, squeezing, pulling) to jump or destroy obstacles and collect coins.

When you get to battles, you do multiple reps of an exercise, and you'll do multiple exercises over the course of a battle (boss battles are particularly long).

I only know a few exercises, for now, but the narrator has mentioned that there are over 50 to use, eventually, which seems solid. And it's clearly a wide variety, too.

I'm playing half an hour a day, and I feel good when I'm done. Not exhausted, but not bored, which is a good balance. I think I could kick it up to a higher difficulty level and be very tired, if I played for long enough.

Tomorrow I'm going to talk a little more about the game and the target groups who would find it particularly useful.

Site Meter