Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Disco Elysium

I don't play something on launch day very often,

Today, though I made an exception, because the game was described as a cross between Planescape Torment and Blade Runner. Not by the company making the game. By people writing about the game.

Sold.

The game is Disco Elysium. I was only able to play for an hour, but man, what an hour. The comparisons to brilliant games of the past? Perfectly justified, at least for now.

Quick notes:
--the writing is just incredibly good. Usually I get tired of dialogue trees, but not when the writing is so excellent.
--voice acting is very strong.
--it strongly evokes the old Westwood Blade Runner adventure game.
--information (about your character, the world, etc.) is presented in very efficient and effective ways.
--all of this combined makes the world very, very immersive.

I don't know very much at this point beyond that. All I've really done at this point is walk around and talk to people.

Well, I know that the first hour didn't disappoint me, which happens all to often to old and jaded me. Plus, I can't wait to play tomorrow.

Site Meter