Tuesday, August 04, 2020

Okay, I confused some people yesterday

I wasn't very clear yesterday. 

On Saturday, my uncle passed away. He was a nice man, but we weren't close. 

On Sunday, my childhood neighbor Johnny passed away. I was very close to him when I was a kid, and he was incredibly generous in finding time for a kid who never stopped asking questions (me). 

I didn't understand that I was missing anything by not having a father (Mom was great), but Johnny very quietly made sure that I had some standard boy-dad activities (watching football, fishing, taking me to a golf course on his way to work). He was the only male figure in my life for a long time. 

I have a much better idea of how important that was now than I did back then. When I was a kid, I just knew that Johnny was a really nice guy. 

I still plan on writing about him, but man, it's hard. 

Site Meter