Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Myrioramas

I read a Eurogamer article last week that mentioned myrioramas.

I'd never heard of them before. 

In the early nineteenth century, one form of entertainment for children consisted of a deck of cards with images that could be combined in any order to suggest stories. 

The cards were taller and thinner than regular cards, and there were roughly twenty yards in a pack. They were laid side by side.

The combination of images was a kind of wondrous tool for the imagination. 

It's one of the most creative things I've ever heard of, both on the storytelling end and the process of creating the deck. How difficult is it to make twenty images around a central theme that can be combined in any order?

I instantly regretted not being able to see these, but as it turns out, you can. Here's one of the most famous myrioramas, with an Italian landscape theme: Bodleian Library.

Even better, there is a small set of contemporary decks, and they're all listed here: myriorama.

I think I'm going to order the science fiction set and see what happens. Making a deck would be fantastic, but I'd drive DQ Artist Fredrik crazy long before its completion. 

And I have something else to finish.

Site Meter