Thursday, January 28, 2021

Who I'm Missing Today

Yesterday, I suddenly had a Monty Python skit in my head.

Not an actual skit, but one that I devised entirely from me missing them. And it's totally derivative, but I still like it.

The premise is that Michael Palin is employed as an opinion surveyor by John Cleese. Cleese brings him to share the results of a particularly important survey. Palin begins explaining that it was extremely difficult to get people to respond to this particularly silly question, but Cleese explains that if he didn't get ten people to respond to the survey, as requested, he would be immediately sacked.

Palin starts off by giving the name of each person before he gives their opinion. The first three or four names are entirely normal, but then they get stranger and stranger, and it becomes apparent that he didn't actually survey ten people and is just making the other names up. Cleese becomes more and more acerbic in his responses, and when Palin says the name "Brigadier General Lance Corporal," it signals Palin to comically rip him to shreds. Cleese then goes through several names even more ridiculous than the ones Palin created and asks him if those people were not available. 

I know. Silly. But I still miss Monty Python, and it's a measure of how much they influenced me that they're still in head, giving me ideas forty years after I first saw them.

Site Meter