Tuesday, January 03, 2023

A Fine Encounter

I decided to get a drink at Jimmy John's. 

I filled up my cup, but with the wrong flavor, so I was pouring it out when a boy who was roughly ten years old walked up. "Go ahead," I said. "I don't even know what flavor I want."

He hit the Sprite lever, then the Mello Yello levver, then the lemonade. "The triple," I said with approval, because I remembered making suicides a long time ago. 

When the cup was almost full, he added the ice, which caused the drink to overflow. There was soda and  foam and ice everywhere, an absolute wreck. He took a sip of his drink, then gave me the warmest, brightest smile, and said, "Perfect."

I started to fill up my cup as he stepped away, and just as his little brother arrived, he said, "What's your favorite sandwich?"

I thought he was talking to his brother, so I didn't respond, but he repeated the question, and I realized he was asking me. "Turkey," I said. "I like turkey."

"I'm a Vito," he said, and he turned and walked toward the chip rack, where he immediately knocked over six bags. 

Perfect.

Site Meter