Tuesday, August 20, 2024

PC Help (Update)

This could have been much worse.

After flipping the switch on my power supply, I was able to boot. Still stuck at the BIOS screen, but it was progress. What I didn't know was after the third or fourth reboot, Windows takes you to the Windows Recovery Environment, which gives you options to pursue fixing the problem.

Repair install? Didn't work.

Booting into safe mode did, though. Once there, I was able to run chkdsk from the command line and repair various files, after which the PC booted as normal. 

Ironically, this morning on The Verge, an article appeared: How to troubleshoot a Windows PC that won’t boot. It's thorough, too, even though it came a day after I needed it.

I'm suspicious of the drive now, particularly with it being ten years old, but for now, I'm just not turning off the system again and copying everything I don't want to lose to Dropbox. 

Site Meter