Tuesday, September 03, 2024

The Game Within the Game

And so it begins.

I was so hopeful for EA College Football 25. After the big patch last week, I sat down, started a dynasty, and designed a relegation conference system. It wasn't perfect, because I couldn't edit bowl tie-ins to have actual post-season games determine relegation, but I could still use the regular season and manually promote/relegate.

Pretty great, really.

I have good slider settings, it's the first real Saturday of college football, and I sit down to play my first Dynasty game. Which is incredibly exciting, because I fight from behind all game and tie it on the last play with a touchdown and two-point conversion. 

A fantastic game. So much fun. Almost epic, even.

I start overtime and watch the players amble onto the field. They keep ambling, They amble and amble. I try to pause the game and can't. I wait. Amble, amble, amble.

Overtime never begins.

I shut down the console and restart. Dynasty loads to a menu, I hit resume, and...amble. I exit and it goes back to before the game was played.

Nice.

This is the shit EA always pulls. Make a game that's 90% fun, maybe even 99% (in this case), then throw in a bug that's so hideously bad it kills the fun. And don't fix it.

Lucy with the football and Charlie Brown running forward, over and over again. 

Site Meter