Tuesday, July 28, 2026

A Three-Hour tour

I've been consumed by a fiendishly difficult exercise this morning: how to map the Beatles to the characters on Gilligan's Island. 

I know. It's an intellectual powerhouse of a problem. I'm ambitious.

Paul is easy. He was always far more interested in the business end of music than the other three, so he's Mr. Howell. 

John was considered the intellectual of the group, so he's the Professor.

Ringo is the easiest of all. Gilligan, clearly.

Then it gets sticky. Who's George?

The Captain doesn't really fit. He was gruff but lovable, which isn't George's vibe. Ginger or Marianne? Nope. 

George also had a wicked sense of humor (he was involved in The Rutles, This is Spinal Tap, Life of Brian, and Withnail and I, among others). It's impossible to reduce him to a stereotype (although the mystic probably comes closes). 

I'm at an impasse, unless we use the Bob Denver Adjacency Factor to consider another series Bob Denver was in. The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, to be exact, and Denver's character Maynard G. Krebs. Wikipedia says "Maynard plays the piano and bongos, collects tinfoil and petrified frogs..." 

If any of the Beatles collected tinfoil and petrified frogs, it would definitely be George. And the character is musical. If you want to consider beatniks (like Krebs) philosophical or spiritual, there's another connection.

I think that's as close as I'm going to get, unless one of you has a better idea. Or do they map better to another series entirely?

Site Meter