Names, In Three Steps
I went to the U.S. Open with Eli 25.1 yesterday.
I'll have more about the event tomorrow, but today, I want to talk about names and how I mangle them. It's a very specific process.
First, I'll hear a new name. In this case, it was a female tennis player: Harriet Dart. We briefly watched part of her first round match and jumped on the hype train after her hitting partner showed up next to me (with a tennis bag and racquet) and said, quite politely, "Come on, Harriet."
Phase one: Harriet Dart.
Phase two begins when I say the name wrong for the first time. "I really like that one player--what was her name--Hailey Dash?"
Eli started laughing. "You're doing it," he says. "Harriet Dart. But you'll call her Hailey Dash forever."
"You forgot the third phase," I say. "That's when I mix up the wrong first name with ANOTHER wrong name. I'll call her Halley once, then go, 'Wait, that's not right. Her name is Hailey.' That cements the wrong name in my head forever and convinces me it's absolutely correct."
And that's how Harriet Dart becomes Hailey Dash. Forever.

<< Home