Tuesday, August 18, 2026

A Matter of Detail

I'm at the point with the book (now with a title: We Trust the Future) where I'm spending multiple days considering the merits of "adventurer" versus "pioneer."

Originally, adventurer is used often in the text. 

It's kind of a narrow word, though, and it brings to mind excitement and daring. It implies that adventure is the whole point, rather than purpose. Plus, at four syllables, it rolls off the tongue like a speed bump. 

Pioneer, though, implies purpose. Marking trail. Forging ahead when others aren't strong enough to go with you. And at three syllables, it's smooth. It flows.

So I'm making the change. It's easy to search for adventurer and replace all instances with pioneer. Lots of edge cases are possible, though, so to do this, I have to read through the entire manuscript and ensure nothing feels out of place.

By the way, DQ Story Advisor John Harwood was the one who suggested that "trust" needed to be in the title, since it's part of a trilogy. Eventually, in theory, all three books will use that word. 

I guess it's the trust trilogy now. Or the trilogy of trust.

Site Meter