A Fascinating Wrinkle
A novel titled Call Me, I'll Hide the Body was the new hotness, with a bidding war for both the book and film rights. Millions of dollars involved.
Then it all collapsed because questions were raised about AI use.
The reason, though, is interesting: copyright.
Because something created with AI can't be copyrighted, it raises the question of whether something assisted by AI in the process can be copyrighted. Where do you draw the line? If 5% of the content was written by AI, can it be copyrighted? 20%? Who knows?
The problem is that no one wants to pay millions of dollars for rights to something that can't be copyrighted. It renders the IP somewhat useless.
It's a mess, and I don't know how it gets resolved. It will, eventually, but it's going to take time.
The author denies using AI, but the publisher dropped him anyway. What's odd, though, is that he should have been able to prove he wasn't using AI to write his book. It's a basic principle of sound file retention.
I have a Word document for every day I worked on the book. For five years. I do this because if I make a change I regret, I can go back and look at the original text before it was changed. So no one could ever claim I used AI, because I could show them everything from the first four hundred words of the first draft forward.

<< Home