Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Evil Genius Special Achievement Award

I am in absolute awe. A long-time DQ reader who prefers that his name not be used sent me this story:
I decided that my girth was getting a bit much and that it was time to get in shape. I tried going to the gym, but at the end of a long day it was just to difficult to go home, pack up, then head back out to the gym (since there aren’t any near my home, and I take my daughter swimming most of the time too). I was also spending a great deal of time playing WOW and doing some other computer related things.

My solution was I went shopping for a treadmill, with the idea that I would need a relatively flat console for it. With a little woodworking skill I was to set up a removable platform for a mouse and keyboard and then mount my computer monitor and CPU on an adjustable shelving unit in front of it. I started walking about 2.5 miles per hour while playing last Thursday. I’m now up to 3.1 miles per hour. Result: I’ve walked a little over 42 miles playing WOW (I might add I had last week and Monday off). My goal is that I would like to walk at 3.5 miles per hour at about a 5 degree incline. If I get in 2 hours of play per day that would mean approximately 800 calories I would be burning per day while playing WOW. I have proposed to my wife that giving up sleep for gameplaying IS stupid, but that giving up sleep for exercise is at least somewhat healthy. I’m sure I’ll pay for this as no spouse likes losing an argument, but hey, the score on this issue so far is 1-0.

Yeah, I know what you are thinking. Two years from now at the 1st annual WOWfest, I’ll still be pasty, but I’ll probably be the only one that is in shape.

I don’t think you could use the setup for a shooter but for an RPG or MMORPG I think it would work fine for any of them.

I figure I can walk 50 miles a week easy while making level 60 in about another month.


I've often thought about playing Xbox while I walked on the treadmill, but since I'm basically Don Knotts with a smaller Adam's Apple, I'd break every bone in my body within five minutes of starting that workout plan.

So like I said, I don't know if WOW is Game of the Year, but this is DEFINITELY the Gamer of the Year.

Site Meter