Friday, October 07, 2005

Adult Supervision Needed

I've felt lousy all week--allergies and sinus drainage, which are both occupational hazards of living in Austin, which has the worst collection of allergens in the country. The only time I don't feel awful is when I'm working out (adrenalin suppressing immune reaction to allergens), so I was looking forward to swimming today.

After almost two weeks of insane temperatures (up to 109 last week), a "cold" front blew through on Tuesday. With a forecast morning low of 60, I decided to wait until mid-day to swim, when it would be closer to the day's high of 80.

It felt a little brisk this morning. I figured it was just the wind. I came home at noon, changed, and headed for the pool.

It still felt pretty cool. Well, no matter. The water wasn't quite as cold as the air temperature, and even though I felt a bit frosty, I just kept swimming. I swam a mile and stepped out of the pool, took off my goggles, and put my glasses on. That was when I saw the big outdoor thermometer that's mounted on the pool deck.

Well, that thing must be broken, I thought, because the gauge said 53 degrees. I got into the car, turned the heater on high, and checked the car's external temperature sensor. 53 degrees. Holy crap. I go home and pull up the local weather site. 51 degrees.

Uh-oh. I think I'm in trouble when the grown-up gets home.

Site Meter