Monday, January 09, 2006

Funky Tribes--Guitar Hero Connections Part 2

I can't believe I missed this, but in the Guitar Hero manual, guess who's listed as audio lead? I believe that's the person who "translated" the songs into playable note sequences. So who do you think did that?

Eric Brosius. Lead guitarist for Tribe, by the way.

So, to recap the bizarre history of Tribe in this column. My good friend Paul Costello (of www.groovgames.com e-mailed in August that he thought I would really enjoy listening to a band called "Tribe." They had broken up years ago, but I hunted down two of their albums.

And they were fantastic.

So I wrote this column: http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2005/09/tribe.html, talking about how much I enjoyed their music and how some of the band had wound up in the game industry. That generated some e-mail from other people who remembered Tribe and that wound up in this post: http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2005/09/your-e-mails-tribe.html.

I started playing Guitar Hero and realized almost immediately that the game was a once in a lifetime experience. A month later, I find out that not one, but two members of Tribe played integral roles (project lead and audio lead) in the game.

How incredibly strange is it that a band wound up having such an impact on the gaming industry?

So maybe Tribe didn't turn out like they originally hoped it would, but let me just say this: Tribe--the most important band in gaming history.

Site Meter