Monday, January 09, 2006

On the Good Ship Lollipop

"AGGGHHHH! SKIP THAT GIRL! SKIP HER!"

Eli 4.5, meet Shirley Temple.

An advertisement for a DVD collection of her films will occasionally appear during one of his Tarzan cartoon episodes, and as soon as he sees her face, it's an emergency. "Daddy! Daddy! Get the Tivo!" he shouts.

"Eli, why does Shirley Temple bother you so much?" I ask.

"Well, she's kind of annoying," he says. I can't argue with that.

One of the interesting things about four year olds is watching how they communicate with each other. Eli was at the park yesterday (with Gloria) and played with a group of kids for a while. "So how did you wind up playing with those kids?" I asked.

"Well, they saw me and they said 'Do you want to play with us?' and I couldn't hear them and I said 'What? I can't hear you!' and they said 'DO YOU WANT TO PLAY WITH US?' and I said 'What are you playing?' and they said "What?' and I said 'WHAT ARE YOU PLAYING?' and they said 'Pirates' and I couldn't hear them and I said 'What?' and they said 'PIRATES!' and I still couldn't hear them so I played with them anyway."

Verbatim.

Site Meter