Thursday, July 13, 2006

Fate

So because I'm crazy, I hopped in the car at 8:50 this morning to drive to Waco. That Best Buy is south of Waco, actually, and it's only about 1:20 from my house.

Like I said, I'm crazy. But I figure I'll be home by 11:30 or 11:45 at the latest, with most of the day still left.

There's no rush hour heading north from Austin in the morning. None at all. So I got onto the access road for I-35 and it's backed up. And I-35 is backed up. And stopped. Dead stop. So I bail out, but I can't get back across the intersection because it's backed up for miles at the crossing on the other side, too.

Screwed.

There's one other way to get to I-35, and it's only about half a mile away (it connects with the highway about five miles further north). I get over there, finally, and it's backed up for miles, too.

It takes me half an hour to get back home (normally a five minute drive). I go to a local news website and see this:
Northbound I-35 shut down at Wells Branch Parkway
08:03 AM CDT on Thursday, July 13, 2006
KVUE News
Austin police are still on the scene of a major wreck on Interstate 35.

It involves several cars and 18-wheelers, and the northbound lanes remain shut down near Wells Branch Parkway. Traffic is backed up for miles.

A total of seven 18-wheelers were involved, and crews are cleaning up a few spills.

Two people were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Expect at least an hour delay, and the interstate is expected to be closed until at least 10 a.m.

SEVEN 18-wheelers. What are the odds?

Site Meter