Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Your Dwarf Fortress Stories

From DQ reader Chris Lorenzen:
Just a note about an experience I had in Dwarf Fortress over the weekend.

My mason got hurt in a scuffle with a lizardman and was stuck in bed recovering. I was trying to make my miner pick up the slack and use the mason's workshop to crank out a few stone items that were needed. In the middle of this "training" my miner took off to the carpentry workshop and grabbed an ASCII symbol I'd not seen before and made a beeline to the underground river.

I started looking around and figured out that what the miner had picked up was an extra bucket my carpenter had made when I was giving him random jobs to work on. He took the bucket back to the room of the sick mason and put it by his bed. He then ran to the storage area and picked up another odd symbol and brought it back to the mason's room. I was still confused so I checked the mason's recent thoughts. They were, "I was recently rescued. I was recently thirsty. I was recently brought water. I was recently hungry. I was recently brought food."

I've been playing games since the early 80s, and this is, without a doubt, my coolest game moment. It's amazing how quickly the ASCII graphics aren't even an issue when the gameplay is this good.

Site Meter