Thursday, October 12, 2006

Guitar Hero 2: the Band Names

Not the band names in the game. Our band names.

With the game coming out in less than a month, it's definitely time to start cranking up the band name machine. I've found two in the last week: Filthy Little White Pieces and Concept City Guerilla Manifesto.

There are stories attached, much to your dismay.

Filthy Little White Pieces is a result of my poor hearing. Gloria was taking some laundy out of the drier yesterday, and walked into the living room (where Eli 5.2 and I were playing) to say "Hmm. Looks like someone left some paper in their pockets."

Eli and I turned to each other and innocently shrugged our shoulders, since both of us do that all the time.

"The drier is full of fluffy little white pieces," she said, but I thought she said filthy little white pieces, and my 24-Hour Band Name Generator Alert Systemâ„¢ immediately sounded the alarm.

Concept City Guerilla Manifesto is entirely the fault of DQ reader Matt, who recommended Tony Judt's massive Postwar, a history of Europe from 1945 to the present. It's a fantastic book, weighs about a ton, and is as dense as lead.

So Concept City Guerilla Manifesto is the name of a document issued by Andreas Baader and Gudrun Ensslin in 1970. Baader and Ensslin used the document to announce the formation of the RAF (Red Army Faction), which was a terrorist group with the goal of dismantling West Germany by force.

My only discomfort with using that name (which strikes me as one of the greatest band names ever) is that the RAF, in their short history, did some scary things. Even though it was 35 years ago.

Of course, both of those names are way, way too long to be usable in Guitar Hero 2, which is my problem--every band name I come up with is impossiblly long and totally unusable.

We're definitely having a Guitar Hero 2 contest, by the way, and it should be in about two weeks. And it will probably involve your band names.

Site Meter