Monday, October 08, 2007

Ow

Eli 6.2 didn't have school on Friday, so we decided to go to lunch and then go check out the new IMAX movie "Sea Monsters 3D."

We were in the parking lot of EZ's, and I was thinking about what I would have for lunch as I was getting out of the car.

Then I slammed the door on my finger.

I slammed the door closed and then heard myself screaming. I looked at the door and saw that the top segment of my index finger was trapped.

You may be wondering how someone slams their own finger in a car door. And, since I'm now an SME on this topic, I should be able to explain exactly what happened.

I have absolutely no idea, though.

There was some blood, but not much, and once I got my finger out, high pain tolerance kicked in. I put my finger in a cup of ice water when we got into the restaurant, and while I was sitting there feeling extremely nauseous, Gloria went and bought an ice bag. I filled it up with ice, let her take over all driving duties, and had ice on my finger for most of the next several hours.

Today, it still hurts, but it's steadily getting better.

I'm basically one step away from running over myself with my own car.

Eli has an interesting reaction when he sees me get hurt--he immediately claims that he's been hurt. I closed a car door on my finger, and within sixty seconds Eli claimed that his right arm had been hurting for weeks.

I think this is how a six-year old shows empathy, to claim that they're suffering, too. And Eli's very considerate about asking us how we're feeling after we injure something. Later.

At first, though, he competes with "his" injury.

After the movie, we were on our way home, and Eli was talking about his arm.

"Guys, this has really been hurting for a LONG time," he said.

"My arm did that once when I was a kid," I said. "It hurt for about two months."

"What happened?" Eli asked.

"Well, one day it just fell off," I said. "I had to pick it up, wash it off, and screw it back on." Gloria started laughing.

"You did not!" Eli said.

"I'm just kidding," I said. "The real reason your arm has been sore is because it's your baby arm. In a few weeks, your arm will get all wiggly and fall off, and when it does, your adult arm will start to grow in its place. It's just like a baby tooth."

"Okay, I am NOT believing you," Eli said.

"When it does fall off, make sure you keep it," I said. "You can put it under your pillow and get a dollar from the Arm Fairy."

"DAD!"

Site Meter