Thursday, October 09, 2008

Eli 7.2

"Dad, can we go see City of Embers when it comes out?" Eli 7.2 has seen trailers for the movie, and he knows it's a "PG," which is usually out of his age range. He also knows, though, that I check certain websites to find details about the rating, and sometimes he gets to go.

"I don't know, little man," I said. "I don't know about the rating."

"Can you check Rotten Potatoes when we get home?" he asked.

Yesterday, he was showing me a book that came in with his school book order.

I remember the heady days of the school book order--coming home with the catalog, negotiating for how many books I could pick out, waiting anxiously for weeks until they came in, then the thrill of the smell of new books when they finally arrived.

So Eli was looking through a book he'd gotten that was kind of a "history pull-tab" book, showing pictures and descriptions of historical events with action tabs that he could pull to move something in the picture.

"Hey, it's George Washington, and he's standing in a boat!" he said.

"That's right," I said.

"That's a famous scene," he said. "He's crossing a river. It's the--the--I can't remember."

"Keep trying," I said.

"It's--it's--THE DERIVATIVE!"

Site Meter